We know the last few weeks have been tough, both personally and professionally. Thankfully, there are quite a few initiatives being taken worldwide to help us #stayhome with a bit more entertainment. Cambre’s Sustainability Team has put together a list of some of them. All of the activities below are free or are based on donations. It is important to remember that some of these online activities are performed by people who are now not getting paid so please consider donating to them if you can.
Keep Your Body in Good Shape
- Yoga room is offering free online classes (however they are asking to make a small donation for the teachers while you enjoy the classes from your home).
- Down dog is providing all their apps for free until May 1st (Down Dog, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute Workout).
- Les Mills (BodyPump, BodyBalance, BodyCombat etc) is offering free workout videos.
- Daily Burn which has running, yoga and HIIT classes has a free 60-day trial.
- Nike Training Club has made all of its Nike Training Club Premium workouts free until further notice.
Music to Your Ears
- La Monnaie/De Munt has put its virtual season online until 19 April.
- The Paris Opera websites will put a performance online available for six days. At the end of the period, the show will be replaced by another proposition and so on until May.
- The Met Opera is offering nightly streaming that is later posted on their website for free.
- Wigmore Hall has live streaming as well as videos of past orchestra performances.
Art at Your Fingertips
Google Arts & Culture street view allows you to visit museums virtually, including:
- MoMA, New York
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- National Museum, New Delhi
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- Georgia O’Keefe Museum, Santa Fe
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Tate Britain, London
- La Galleria Nazionale, Rome
- Rijks Museum, Amsterdam
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Pergamon Museum, Berlin
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
- Museu de Arte de São Paulo
Other museums offering virtual tours on their websites:
- The British Museum
- The Dali Museum
- Interactive exhibition on Frida Kahlo
- If you want to bring the art directly into your home Paris Musées, a collection of 14 museums in Paris have recently made high-res digital copies of 100,000 artworks freely available to the public on their collections website. Artists with works in the archive include Rembrandt, Monet, Picasso, Cézanne, and thousands of others.
- Yale: many free courses available on Coursera, including their most popular class ever held at the university – The Science of Well-Being.
- Guvi: premium classes for free until 31 March.
- Open Learn: many free online courses.
- Professional Photographers of America: create a free account and get access to a free online photography class.
- Coursera: hundreds of free online courses available.
- Elements of AI: free course on AI.
- freeCodeCamp: has a list of 450 Ivy League courses that can be taken online for free.
- Netflix Party: A new way to watch Netflix together with your friends online.
- For all fans of electronic music: United We Stream is an initiative of Berlin’s clubs offering daily live streams of different DJ sets.
- House Party is an app where you can video chat multiple friends while playing fun games like quizzes, Pictionary etc.
- Many musicians, singers, DJs etc are giving virtual concerts on social media platforms like Instagram – see if your favourite singer has one coming up!
When You’re Tired of TV – Bingeworthy Podcasts
- Ear Hustle: everyday prison-life
- Business Wars: Netflix vs HBO. Nike vs Adidas. Business is war
- Imagined Life: what’s it like before you’re famous? Immerse yourself in the journey
- Reply-All: A podcast about the internet – an exploration of modern life
- This American Life: something for everyone – each week stories around a particular theme
- Escaping NXVIM: Hollywood self-help group turns out to be a cult
- The Drop Out: On bio-tech entrepreneur Elizabeth Holmes and the Thanos Scam
Crime / mystery
- Darknet Diaries: Explore the dark side of the internet
- Hacking Humans: Behind social engineering scams, phishing etc.
- S Town : John despises his town and asks a reporter to investigate. Then someone ends up dead. You will never guess the ending…
- Serial: each season tells a story [recommended: season two on Pfc. Bergdahl’s disappearance in Afghanistan]
- The Shrink Next Door: A journalist’s neighbour disappears, and he discovers everything he knew about his neighbour was wrong.
- The Mystery Show: everyday mysteries
- Marvel’s Wolverine
- The Bright Sessions: Dr Bright provides therapy for the strange and unusual
- Blood Ties: Our family members are not always who we think
- The Truth: Short sometimes dark, sometimes funny movies for the ears
- Limetown: Three hundred people disappeared 10 years ago. What happened to them?
- Homecoming: A case worker at an experimental facility’s discussions & therapy sessions
- Passenger List: A flight disappears mid-flight
Get inspired / TV podcasts
- Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations
- Ted Talks Daily
- The Daily Show Ears Edition
- The Office Ladies: Office co-stars break down episodes of the Office (for those missing the office…)
- Ellen on the Go : For Ellen DeGeneres fans
Educational / Discussing the news
- Politico’s EU Confidential
- The New Yorker Radio Hour
- Wired UK : weekly catch-up
- The Guardian’s Today in Focus
- BBC’s In our Time: The History of Ideas
- Caliphate: New York Times reporter on the Islamic State and the fall of Mosul
- Freakonomics Radio: The hidden side of everything
Calm Your Mind
- The meditating app Calm has a list of free meditations available to help keep you grounded during this stressful period.
- Mindfulness and meditation app Headspace has a section dedicated to Covid-19 with meditations and articles.
Be the Next Masterchef
- “Kitchen Quarantine series”: Michelin star chef Massimo Bottura is teaching cooking classes on Instagram.
- Milk Street: Online Cooking School for free.
If you have seen an activity that should be included on future iterations of this list please send an email to Cambre’s Sustainability Team here.